Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Food in books

I discovered an interesting tapsilogan near where I live. Unlike the usual 24-hour tapsihan which serves only tapsi, longsi and toci (really the cornerstone of every manginginom’s repast, come to think of it), this one has a more extensive menu which includes specialty longganisas (Vigan, Lucban, Benguet, etc.), a to-die-for ginataang adobo, bulalong sinigang (imagine large chunks of lechon kawali in sinigang broth made from beef bulalo—killer!) and deep-fried tawilis. I am a recent and eager convert of tawilis and try to eat it whenever and wherever I can get it. So I was happy to learn that Extra Rice (as this tapsilogan is gloriously called) serves tawilis. As I savored the crunchiness of the fish I thought, now I finally have something else to relate to Noli Me Tangere other than tinola. Yes, I’m weird that way. For some reason I always think of Padre Damaso whenever I eat tinola. Sisa and the loving way she prepared tawilis for her two boys also left a lasting impression but since I haven’t tasted tawilis up until a few months ago, I couldn’t really relate. Well Sisa, you are now part of my gastronomic landscape.

Anyway, my Extra Rice epiphany made me think of some of the more memorable grub in the books I read.

Oyster “he” Stew – Chesapeake, James Michener
There’s fat oysters, bacon, milk and butter, what more can you ask for?

Hot rolls and butter – Three Fat Women of Antibes, W. Somerset Maugham
Read this short story while on a diet and you’ll understand why.

Elegant Old World Filipino merienda – Cave and Shadows, Nick Joaquin
Parang mas sumasarap kasi ang tsokolate at ensaymada kung nakiki-kain ka lang sa bahay ng mayayaman.

Manna from heaven – Book of Exodus, The Bible
My Bible had pictures and the manna looked like pan de coco.

Rabbit – The Story of the Treasure Seekers, Edith Nesbitt
I loved the Bastable children and their strong attachment to sweets and rabbit dinners. That is, until I grew up and had Bunny Unit No. 1 (God rest your fat soul my sweet Unibit).

Spit-roasted wild boar, peacock tongue, jellied eels and other strange fare from the Middle Ages – The Once And Future King, T.H. White
I’m really just very curious.

Strangely enough, I wasn’t turned on by the food in Laura Esquivel’s Like Water for Chocolate. The hot bathroom scene was more memorable. I’m not a fan of Chinese food so Amy Tan doesn’t do it for me either. Anyway, I’m sure I’m forgetting many others.

No comments: