Sunday, November 26, 2006

Kodak moment

I hate looking at people’s photo collection. My idea of hell is looking at someone's family album. And as if staring at celluloid strangers wasn't torture enough, this nightmarish task is almost always accompanied by boring anecdotes and reminiscences that stretch to eternity. Parents are the worst offenders. They’re always shoving snapshots of their progeny in your face. Really parents, if I am ever possessed by a deep desire to go looking at photos of children I would begin by looking at pictures of my cats—not some unknown brat. Actually I wouldn’t mind so much if I was emotionally invested in the kid (i.e. my godchildren, kids of my close friends, kids I like). Generally though, looking at photographs is one chore that I try to avoid at all cost.

The worst thing about it is how you're expected to react to each and every boring photo. Which would have been okay if I could at least be honest. “And who is this ugly little boy? Oh your youngest?” or “It’s uncanny how much your boyfriend resembles Jejomar Binay.” I think it’s only fair. After all, it wasn’t my idea to look at their stupid pictures in the first place.

See, the trouble with most home photos is that they never tell a story. Nor do the subjects do anything remotely interesting. That’s why I think these photo pimps should take a tip from this unsolicited pic I received via email. Now this is a Kodak moment.




No comments: